The Local is committed to tackling issues of race, representation, and equity in the media industry.
The absence of diversity in newsrooms is holding back Canadian journalism from its full potential and limiting the kinds of stories we are capable of reporting.
In both our editorial and business practices, The Local is committed to addressing media representation by ensuring underrepresented groups are given a voice and an opportunity to work. That is why we endorse the Canadian Journalists of Colour and the Canadian Association of Black Journalists calls to action on Canadian media diversity and are committed to doing at least our part. In particular, The Local is committed to the following:
- Begin self-reporting of newsroom and contributor demographics on a regular basis
- Increase representation and coverage of racialized communities by hiring more editors and contributors of colour
- Retain and promote journalists of colour to management positions in the newsroom
- Formally consult with racialized communities about news coverage on an ongoing basis
- Take a structural approach to improving representation beyond corporate training and workshops
- Create scholarships and mentorship opportunities targeted towards aspiring journalists of colour
If you have any questions related to our Race, Representation, and Equity Commitment, please contact us at email@example.com.